Tuesday, November 13, 2007

SKEWER – Tuesday 6 november

This morning I had my final delta training. I’m now officially a delta driver and leader for trips out to Cape Evans. So stay off the roads!

Leaving the delta I headed over to Skua. Skua for those not in the know is a ship container sized Sally Army Store. It’s a place where people leave items that they don’t want to take north with them. We are free at any time to hunt through the piles of gear and equipment, and take away what we wish. As they say, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. The name comes from an Antarctic bird that looks like an overweight seagull with a tan. They’re scavengers at heart.

I was visiting Skua today for some vital bits of gear. I’m on a mission. I’m pimping out my pad, so to speak. Read on.

I room with 3 others. I’m on a bunk bed, sharing with another firefighter. To limit disturbance, I am sleeping on the floor and Angie has her part of the bunk above. I have decided to build a cosy little nest for myself.

To my delight I find some thick rope, a wooden shelf, a sheet and some old shower curtain hangers. Perfect.

4 hours of blood sweat and tears later. Kiwi Cave was born. (naming rights belong to a friend of mine Zach)

She’s a beaut. I have a multi layer shelf where my laptop sits beside speakers previously Skua’d by my friend Keri. The sounds are perfect for watching movies. I have a target game positioned on the roof for that “can’t sleep” entertainment. Some glow in the dark stars above my head for nigh time authenticity, a wireless remote in hands reach to “change channels”, a stubby holder, some plastic flowers, posters on the wall, and for the grand finale; some Christmas sparkly white lights.
Now that’s what I call pimped out.

No comments: