Tuesday, November 13, 2007

ANTARCTIC EXPLORERS - Saturday 10 november



This morning I ran the Observation Hill loop track. This is a great trail run. It only takes around 45 minutes return, and it feels great getting some cool air into the lungs. I do something outside each day, whether it be hiking, running, skiing. Even now, after a month and a half of being here I still feel the buzz every time I step out that door.

With equipment in tow, Dave, Chris and I headed outside to do as previous explorers have done many a time. Clicked into some skis. First time skiing in Antarctica. Wicked. We decided to test the waters and just ski out to the runway. Dave had skua’d some skis a few weeks back. Unfortunately the bindings had broken; he fixed this by duct taping an old pair of shoes to them instead. As we left the building I pointed out he had no poles, “I’ll find something” Dave responded. Within minutes he’d found an old bamboo flagpole to which he proceeded to break in half. Perfect.
I responded with some hill billie guitar music.
Skiing was great fun, it was a little windy but that was a good excuse for the amount of times we fell over. I traded my poles with Dave since he is quite a bit taller than me. Bamboo actually does make good pole, wonder if Salomon would buy the idea?

During the evening the pub held an event called “freak train” It’s an open mike night. People stand up on stage doing whatever it is they’re best at. There were poems and songs, dress ups and unusual body positions – one guy turned his feet all the way around backwards.

No comments: