Sunday, January 20, 2008

RUGBY - Sunday 13 january 2008





McMurdo vs Scott Base. The day is here.

The sun shone. The snow was groomed. The posts were erected.

The crowd eagerly gathered on the sideline, and watched as players tucked in their thermals, pulled on their beanies and neck warmers. Months of training boiled down to this day. 80 minutes of the coldest, most southern game of rugby.

I listened intently as the American national anthem was sung through a megaphone, promptly followed by the ice breaking kiwi haka.

The whistle blew and the game begun.

The snow covered players from head to toe making it interesting to pick out which team held the ball.

The final score was 12-0 to the kiwis.

I dressed up for the game. The left side of my body was kiwi, and the right side of my body was American. I held both an American and kiwi flag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find an e-mail address, so I'll try a comment. I'm a researcher from Ripley's Believe It or Not. I was going to put a story about the annual Antarctic rugby match in our international cartoon (http://www.comics.com/comics/ripleys/index.html) and was looking to pass along some good photos to our publishing department for use in our next hardcover book project. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, drop me a line at lstram[at]ripleys[dot]com.