Sunday, January 20, 2008

BIKE MARATHON - sunday 20 january



"Biking a marathon in Antarctica"

Today's the day and the weather played its part. Blue sky, no wind, and a big bright and warm sun.

I geared up in thermals, grabbed a banana and hit the road - well so to speak!. I must say it's an incredibly unique feeling riding on ice, I guess it felt like I was walking a tight rope, one false move or unbalance and you're kissing the ground. I actually experienced that yesterday on my trial bike ride. The tyre caught a groove in the snow and sure enough my bike and I took a slide. A very long slide. I remember looking at my watch half way through wondering if I was ever going to stop. Fortunately that was the only crash I’d have over the two days.

I can seriously say Antarctica has to be the best continent for cycling. It was such a moving experience, one I’ll not forget in a hurry. I biked my 26.5 mile marathon in around 2 and a half hours. (my friend dave lent me his gps) I stayed on the bike and rode next to some of my friends who were running. I ended up biking a distance of 72km, and raised $800 for the SPCA. Thanks so much everyone for your support. It was greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.