Tuesday, February 19, 2008

NOT YOUR TYPICAL TROPICAL CRUISE - friday 15 february





This one's especially for you Jennie. (for those that don't know my super cool mother-in-law; she is an absolutely amazing woman, full of compassion and forever thinking of others before herself. Jennie is a big fan of cruising, so I knew she'd be right into this one. I had to work today but I told my Leitenant about Jennie and he let us drive the fire truck down to the water for some photos.)

Today we had the pleasure of off ice company.

The Polish cruise ship, Marina Svetaeva, stopped by for a cup of tea on her way from New Zealand to Australia. The sea ice hasn't completely broken up this year, making it impossible to get to the pier without the icebreaker. So she rested in the bay whilst her 100 eager passengers were flown in by helicopter to explore what McMurdo and Scott base had to offer.

I had the great fortune of talking to some of the passengers, including a kiwi from Gore. They had visited the dry valleys, port chambers, watched orca's playing in the ships wake. Sounds like a lifetime dream, and with a $30,000 dollar price ticket, I bet for many it was.

visit www.auroraexpeditions.com.au for more information about this Antarctica cruise. The first photo is off their website.

No comments: