Saturday, December 1, 2007

FISHING – Monday 26 november




Happy Birthday Keri! It’s my roomies 33rd birthday today. This morning we have been invited to go out fishing with one of the scientists here. For those that know, yes I am scared of fish. But you can’t give up an opportunity like this in Antarctica. So an enthusiastic Keri, Hally and I trundled down to the ice. The fishing down here takes place inside huts. They drill out a 1metre diameter hole until they reach the seawater.

We peered over the side of the hole with our rods. The ocean looked so dark. The fish we’re catching today are called Bernacchii. They are little fish that hang out on the rock bed at the bottom of the ocean. Around 70 foot deep.

Fortunately I didn’t catch any, but Kevin the scientist caught 2. The group did get to hear me scream though. Once Kevin pulled the line, I excitedly peered into the hole, but as soon as I saw it I freaked, running straight to the other side of the hut.

What an awesome experience.

During the afternoon Keri and I went up to the greenhouse to check it out. WOW. The smell and the colour when you open the door. Phew, what a knock-out. Green stuff. WOW. Antarctica has a tendency to smell the same everyday, since there being no flauna. We lay in the greenhouse hammock and enjoy being one with the tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts, and herbs.

No comments: